In recent article, when I talked about adding Alexa widget to your blog. I felt the need to write an article on submitting your site to Alexa. If you don’t know how to submit your site then how can you do any further thing?
Alexa is one of the top ranking website. Being a blogger, the importance of Alexa is more as it helps bloggers in many ways. So, we should pay attention to Alexa ranking just like other factors.
When advertisers want to buy space on our blog then he checks the blog in every aspect out of which Alexa Ranking is top most factor. Stronger the ranking we have, more chances that we get advertiser’s attention.
Benefits of claiming your site on Alexa:-
Although, if have not submitted your site to Alexa, Alexa will itself pick new domains on its own and starts to rank them if they are getting attention of visitors. But it is a good practice to submit, claim and verify the site’s owner. This way Alexa will be able to collect more accurate data of your blog.
Pro members have more features than the free ones. This way Alexa provides a tracking code to them to install it on their site to collect each and every activity of the user. Even Alexa explains itself that if you are a free member then don’t take traffic data accurately. These are only estimated one. But if you buy membership, then all data measured is accurate and perfect as the tracking code tracks the user activity more accurately.
How to submit and claim your site to Alexa:-
So, Let’s start Alexa website submit and verify process:
1. Go to Alexa.com
2. Sign in with your registered e-mail. If you don’t have email registered then sign up or log in with your Facebook account.
3. Now go Alexa Claim Site page
4. Enter the URL of your site and search. Make sure the site has not been already verified by another person.
5. If you are prompted for choosing membership plans then choose free plan and move forward.
6. It will now ask you to verify the site.
7. If you own that site then you can verify your site with two option.
- With uploading html file in the root directory of your website location. Visit your web hosting account for this and upload the file there. This is a complicated issue for newbie bloggers.
- Or, you can add the meta tag to your <head> section of your website. See below if you are blogger user.
Verification ID Ex. –
<meta name=”alexaVerifyID” content=”abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz”/>
Just copy abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz. [For WordPress]
For WordPress Users:-
You don’t need to mess with anything. No. Just choose the second option of adding meta tag.
Just copy your unique verification code and you are done.
Two methods to add this to your WordPress Website. You can choose either which you find easy:-
1. Alexa Widget Plugin:-
- Install the Alexa plugin from the WordPress admin dashboard.
- Go to Settings> Alexa Internet.
- Paste the unique ID in second box as shown in the screenshot.
- Click on Add Verification ID Button.
2. WordPress SEO by Yoast! Plugin:-
If you have WordPress SEO by Yoast! Plugin installed then:-
- Go to SEO> General from dashboard.
- In the General tab, click on Webmaster tool.
- You got the option to add Alexa verification ID here.
- Just add and you save.
You are done!!!
These are the simplest methods by which you can verify your Alexa website.
For Blogger/Blogspot Users:-
1. Copy the entire meta tag and go to blogger.com.
2. Here, on your website dashboard, click on Template and choose EDIT HTML.
3. Paste the entire meta tag just before </head> tag in your html theme.
4. Click on save and you are done.
Just come back to your Alexa site and click on verify. If you have done everything successfully you will get confirmation notice.
Congrats, you have successfully verified your website.
You can choose other methods to verify your site but they are little complicated. So, it is not recommended to newbies to mess with advanced settings in initial days as I know how much effects it later.
Just pay attention to learning skills to be able to grow in blogging community. Don’t waste your time in extra useless things.
If you still have any problem, let me know in the comments below.